Don’t fall for the myths of long-distance relationships. Learn the 3 harsh facts of long distance relationships that can make or break your love story.
Long distance relationships can be incredibly rewarding, but they can also be incredibly hard. Sure, you get to experience all the highs of a relationship without having to deal with any of the lows…or so you thought.
I have been in a semi-long distance 4 out of 5 years of my relationship, and all I can say is that it is not for the faint-hearted. So many fights, so many misunderstandings, and so so much overthinking. You really need to make yourself ready for what’s coming.
But is it really that unbearable? Um, NO! You know how they say distance makes the heart grow fonder – I mean, not exactly but that moment when you get to see the most beautiful person of your life after so many months and years of video chats and fights, the feeling is intensely surreal. There are no words to describe that emotion. And it all becomes worth it!
But that also doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be prepared because these harsh facts long distance relationship presents are a tiny mirror of what’s coming. And the one who is willing to go through it all and make it work will reap immense love and affection that the world would be jealous of!
So let’s get you prepared, girl!
3 harsh facts long distance relationships go through
fact no. 1 – It’s Going To Be Hard AF in all aspects of life & relationship
Let’s face it – being apart from your significant other is hard! You won’t get to see them every day, kiss them goodnight and wake up next to them in the morning. You won’t even get to do those little things like going out for dinner or catching a movie together. And the worst part is watching your friends enjoy that!
I cannot tell you how many times I’ve teared up seeing my friends getting all cute and cozy, not that I was jealous or anything, but the feeling of missing them too damn much that all of it takes a toll over you and before you know it, you’re crying in the back seat and your partner won’t even pick up the call because he’s working, ugh! 😾
Long distance relationships can be emotionally draining and leave you feeling lonely and isolated at times. That’s why it’s important to have an honest conversation with your partner beforehand and make sure you both understand what you’re getting into.
Here are some other LDR problems that you might face but your girl is here with the solutions to them too!
1. Out of Sight, Out of Mind: When you do not see each other on a regular basis, it can be hard to stay connected. To keep your connection alive and thriving, make sure you set aside quality time for each other every day or week. You can video chat or text message during this time, but make sure it’s done with intention and not just as an afterthought.
2. Lack Of Physical Intimacy: This is one of the biggest issues for couples in long-distance relationships because physical contact isn’t always easy when you live far apart from each other. To counter this issue, get creative! Send small gifts such as flowers or cards that show your love and appreciation for them while also providing a physical reminder that they are loved even though they may not be able to physically be together all the time.
3. Trust Issues: Trust is always important in any relationship but it becomes especially important in a long-distance relationship where partners are relying on technology and communication rather than physical presence for security and reassurance in their relationship.
The best way to combat trust issues is by being honest about feelings and communicating openly about expectations within the relationship—and then following through on those expectations! Being consistent with communication goes a long way when it comes to building trust between two people in an LDR .
4. Hanging On Too Tightly: It’s understandable that people in LDRs will want to hang onto each other tightly—but too much clinging could lead to suffocation which could eventually drive apart two people who love each other very much!
Make sure you allow your partner enough breathing room away from the relationship so they still have time for themselves without feeling guilty about it or worrying that their partner will think less of them for wanting some space away from the relationship occasionally!
fact no. 2 – The gnawing sense of loneliness can be overwhelming
Another harsh fact of long distance relationship is that it can get pretty damn lonely. Being away from your boo can make you feel like a sad little puppy, and that’s just the reality of it. And honestly, no amount of Facetime or virtual hugs can replace the warmth of a real-life embrace or cuddle.
Most of the time, you don’t know what you should do when you’re constantly missing your partner, wondering what they’re doing or who they’re with. You, of course, cannot question them all the time, it may sound judgy. You cannot ask for their location; it sounds disrespectful. And you obviously cannot have a hidden camera installed on their head, so you know all the little updates! 🙄 (Is that too much to ask for?)
So, many of those times, you just have to make peace with it. Accept the facts, the reality and that they’ll come to you in their own time and miss you just like you do.
But there are definitely things you can do when that happens –
- Get busy in your life, like learning a new skill or hanging out with friends or doing these things when alone
- Simply drop them a cute note saying you miss them
- Plan a surprise visit if you can
- Plan a virtual date for you to reconnect
- Go on a solo date and embrace your own company
Fact no. 3 – it’s hard to keep the spark alive
No matter what you do, meeting on devices is just not the same as meeting in person. Sure, you can text and video chat all day long, but it’s just not the same as holding hands, cuddling up on the couch, or sharing a meal together. It’s important to recognize that you’re missing out on some key aspects of a relationship when you’re not together in the same place.
And all the fighting and misunderstanding aren’t helpful either! 🤪
And of all the harsh facts long distance relationships present, I think this one is the hardest to get through. Because as time passes, things don’t remain that fresh anymore. And that constant efforts can easily drain you mentally and physically.
So what can you do to keep that fire burning between the two?
- Send surprises: Who doesn’t love a surprise? Send your partner a care package, a handwritten letter, or their favorite snack. These little surprises show that you’re thinking of them and will make them feel super special.
- Virtual dates: Set up a date where you can do things together online like cooking a meal, watching a movie or even playing games together. Get creative and use video calls to make it feel like you’re together in the same room.
- Get flirty: Sending flirty texts or suggestive pictures is a great way to keep things spicy! Keep the conversation exciting and playful by using your imagination.
- Plan future visits: Having a date to look forward to can make the distance more bearable. Plan future visits or trips together and get excited about the things you can do when you’re finally together.
- Share your daily life: Keep your partner updated on your daily life, both the good and the bad. Sharing your experiences and thoughts with each other helps to maintain a strong connection and builds intimacy.
That being said, are these the only issues you could face with your munchkin? What are some other harsh facts of long distance relationships that are not too big but definitely need to be considered?
fact no. 4 – The Reality Of Time Zones
Long-distance relationships require patience and dedication like any other type of relationship. But they also require a degree of flexibility that not all couples may have. When one partner is living in a different time zone, it can make it difficult to find time to talk or even text each other during the day. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and disconnection, which are only made worse by the fact that you don’t get to see each other in person on a regular basis.
fact no. 5 – Jealousy Can Easily Sneak In
Jealousy is a normal emotion that everyone experiences from time to time, but it can become an even bigger problem for couples who are apart for extended periods of time. When you’re not physically together, it can be difficult to trust your partner and know that they’re being faithful—which can lead to suspicions or arguments over seemingly small issues (i.e., why did they take so long to respond?).
This can cause unnecessary tension between partners who may already feel disconnected due to their physical separation.
fact no. 6 – You Will Miss Out on Moments Together
The biggest challenge of being in a long-distance relationship is missing out on all the little moments that make up everyday life with someone else—from running errands together on Sunday mornings to sharing meals at home after work each night.
It’s hard enough just trying to keep up with what’s happening in each other’s lives over FaceTime or Skype calls; it’s even more difficult when you don’t get the chance to actually experience these moments together in person like couples who reside near each other do every day without fail!
so, What can ruin a long-distance relationship?
A few things can ruin a long-distance relationship, such as a lack of communication, trust issues, cultural differences, and lack of physical intimacy. Even small differences in personal values or beliefs can lead to irreconcilable issues if not addressed. Conflict resolution is also much more difficult when couples are miles away from each other. Additionally, past betrayals or unresolved feelings can become bigger issues over time in a long-distance relationship.
final thoughts on 3 harsh facts long distance relationship present
Long distance relationships come with their own unique set of challenges, but they don’t have to be impossible if both parties are willing to put in the effort needed for success.
So, if you’re considering entering into a long-distance relationship yourself or keeping one going strong if you’re already in one, make sure you know what potential pitfalls await so that you’re prepared for anything that comes your way!
Good luck, and happy loving your boo!
related articles to 3 harsh facts long distance relationship
- How To Show Someone You Love Them In Long Distance Relationship
- How To Make Your Boyfriend Laugh: 16 Ways To Make Him Crack UP
- How To End A Long-Distance Relationship With Someone You Love